I think the app is great at starting and keeping on track with the Keto diet. It has some great benefits and some areas for improvement. If I could have given it a 3.5 star rating I would have. It’s definitely better than 3 stars but not as good as 4 stars. Below I have included the pros and cons of the app and my overall review.
1. Meal planning: Grocery list, add recipes directly to day/type of meal, and automatic nutrition calculations.
2. Recipes: Included recipes, saved favorites, can add individual ingredients, restaurant recommendations, and blog recipes.
3. Navigation: Clearly labeled sections, drop down menu, search recipes by keywords, and sort/filter options (not available in “blog” section).
1. Recipes: I did find (like other reviewers) that most of the recipes I found appetizing had to be purchased additionally. I refuse to pay more for extra “categories” when I can find similar (if not better) recipes on the internet. Although I have to add that there are more recipes found on their blog section included in the app that you can try. I took off 1 star because I often have to search on another website I use to find a similar recipe and add it to the planner.
2. Navigation: I found overall navigation and ease of user ability is lacking. I took off 1 star for navigation. Meal planning navigation bugs me the most. For instance, I like to add meals through the “planner” section in the app because I can easily see the total net carbs and other calculations. However, there is no option to add meals you’ve saved in your favorites. If I choose to add meals through my “saved favorites” section I have to go back to the “planner” section to make sure I haven’t gone over. It gets frustrating after a while.
My next navigation issue is the “blog” section. This is the best option to find more recipes without needing to pay for them but navigating the section is horrible. You can search for recipes with a keyword but that just brings up endless amounts of recipes with no real order. You’ll have to search through recipes for hours. This (to me) is one of the most useful sections on the app and it needs improvement.
1. Add more free recipes periodically to limit the need to go outside of the app to find them.
2. Include the option to add from “favorites” when adding recipes in the “planner” section (both from the meals saved favorites and saved favorites from the “blog” section)
3. Organize the “blog” section. You should be able to filter out things based on certain criteria, type of meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner), meal prep/cooking time, net carbs, and more sorting options (not just best match). This can eliminate undesired recipes and alleviate a lot of time scrolling to find a recipe.
The app is ok to start off with if you have no idea of how to begin the Keto Diet. However, for the amount of money it costs I would probably search elsewhere. It’s basically a carb counter/meal planner with a few recipes. You can find both free in other apps. The recipes are ok but I personally have to search on another website for recipes. I’m not paying for recipes (like salads) that are a staple in the Keto diet. The navigation needs work because the “blog” section is the best section to highlight if they want to market this app as a recipe app and navigating that section is tedious. My suggestion would be to search around and try out some of the free apps first before buying this app.